Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Dehydrating EggPlant

    Eggplant is really an amazing vegetable and I am embarrassed to admit, I had never had eggplant once in my 48 years until recently.  It was just not something my family ever served growing up so I never bought any as an adult either.  My son planted some this summer in our garden and since we had fresh eggplant, I sure wasn't going to waste it.  I actually liked it.

dehydrating eggplant, how do you dehydrate eggplant, what are the benefits of eggplant

     
    Eggplants are greatly desired for the "meaty"taste and vitamin content.  They are a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin K, vitamin B6, Niacin, Magnesium, Thiamin, and copper and are a good source of fiber too.
 
     Dehydrating eggplant does not change its vitamin content and is easy to do.  The eggplant once dehydrated can be used as you would in fresh eggplant and I use it in my casseroles, meatballs, and soups.

    To dehydrate the eggplant, you first need to peel each one and cut off both ends.  Then using a sharp knife or mandolin, cut them into 1/4"slices or you can cut them into small cubes.  I chose to cut mine into slices this time.

dehydrating eggplant, how do you dehydrate eggplant, what are the benefits of eggplant


     Place into your dehydrator and dehydrate for 12-14 hours at 135 degrees.  Remove when dried and store in a mason jar.

    To rehydrate, just place the eggplant slices in a bowl and cover with boiling water.  They will be ready to use after about 30 minutes.

I also dehydrate Radishes and Rutabagas.

Follow us on Facebook
Follow me on Pinterest
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on g+
Follow our Youtube channel
Follow me on Instagram 

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to Make a Classic Christmas Rainbow Poke Cake

            This recipe has been around for a LONG time and to me, it never goes out of style.   It is colorful, festive, moist and utterl...